Technical Tips from our Printer Service Team
If you experience some unexpected and unwelcome results when using thermal transfer printer technology, check here to see if we can help solve the problem. Then if you are still experiencing problems, schedule a service call or speak with our Service Administrator at 1-800-325-5260 X246. We can work with Zebra, Datamax, Sato, Intermec and other Thermal Transfer Printers.
*Caution – You should never use metal instruments, screw drivers, or any way use force to repair your equipment. Further damage may result.
Common Printer Problems and Solutions.
Just put labels in my printer and closed the Print head and it keeps feeding the labels.
* Check to see if the labels are going through the sensor
* Check to see if the sensor is aligned over a label
* Check to see if the ribbon is not in the middle of the sensor
Loaded labels and ribbon but its still not printing.
* Check to be sure ribbon is loaded correctly. (Ink side down)
* Check correct label ribbon combination
Changed materials, closed the print head and I am getting “Head Open Error”
* Move Print head lever back to set head up flag in sensor
* Look for head up flag to see if it is loose or broken. If broken, call ID Technology immediately.
Print labels melts ribbon to print head or ribbon is tearing
* Check to see if the printer is in direct thermal mode.
* Make sure the darkness setting isn’t too high. (Darkness should be adjusted using the computer software and not on the printer.)
Labels won’t feed forward when the feed button is pressed.
* Check to see that the print head is locked down.
* Check print head pressure toggles have not moved in
* Open print head and unload materials, check for movement resistance on the platen (drive) roller. (If there is no resistance then there is most likely a belt broken. Call ID Technology.)
Will not calibrate
* Check labels are not stuck in the sensor
* Power down and then back up, try to calibrate again
* Do a manual calibrate to reset the printer memory
Will not communicate
* Check to make sure the printer setting is the same as the port. (ie. Parallel port LPT1, Serial Port Com)
* Check connections on the cable
* Check correct port settings on PC
Ribbon is hard to remove from take-up hub
* Check to see if the ribbon leader is stuck on the take up hub. (Always rip ribbon leader off)
* Check tension on ribbon supply
Print is faded
* Shut down printer, take isopropyl alcohol and cotton rag or q-tip open print head and clean thoroughly. Do not use metal instruments or screw drivers.
* Check print head toggles pressure
* Check print speed is not set too high. Want to be sure that the labels sit under the print head long enough
Prints on one side (ie only printing on left or right side of the label, other side is faint or not at all)
* Check the print pressure adjustment. Call ID Technology, if you need help.
* Check for label stuck on print head
Labels are walking out or in the printer
* Check the print pressure adjustment
* Check print head toggle location and tension
Light and dark printing
* Check for labels stuck on platen (drive) roller. Do not use metal instruments to clean rollers. Further damage may result.
* Check for cuts in platen roller
Here at ID Technology, we have years of experience of all kinds of label printers. Our factory trained and PMMI certified technicians are always ready to help – no matter what your problem.
Do you need to improve your labeling operations? ID Technology can certainly help. Call us toll free at: 888-438-3242 Option#3 or you can contact me directly at email@example.com