powered by Pro Mach video

Pro Mach Web Site
ProCustomer Industry Leading Aftermarket Support
Allpax Retort Sterilization & Automation Systems
Axon Shrink & Stretch Sleeve Application Systems
Benchmark Food Distribution & Loading Systems
Brenton Case & Tray Packing & Robotic Systems
Currie by Brenton Conventional & Robotic Palletizing Systems
Dekka Case Taping Systems
Edson High Performance Case & Tray Packing Systems
EOL Packaging End of line Applications & Systems
EPI Labelers Flexible Packaging Labeling Systems
Federal Liquid Filling & Capping Systems
Flexible Packaging Flexible Packaging Applications & Systems
FLtecnics Rollstock Pouch Packaging Systems
Greydon Flexible Packaging Coding Systems
ID Technology Labeling, Marking & Coding Systems
Inever Stickpack & Sachet Packaging Systems
IPak Machinery Tray & Bliss Forming Systems
Jalbert Automation Services
KLEENLine Sanitary Product Handling Systems
LSI Pressure Sensitive Labeling Systems
Matrix Vertical Form Fill Seal Systems
NJM Packaging Pharmaceutical Packaging Systems
Orion Packaging Stretch & Pallet Wrapping Systems
Ossid Tray Packaging & Weighing Systems
Pace Packaging Bottle Unscrambling & Orienting Systems
Pacific Packaging Viscous Filling & Capping Systems
P.E. Labellers Decorative Labeling Systems
Rennco Vertical Bagging & Heat Sealing Systems
Roberts PolyPro Bottle & Box Handles & Application Systems
Shuttleworth Conveying & Material Handling Systems
Southern Packaging Rollstock Pouch Packaging Systems
Tekkra Shrink Bundling Systems
Texwrap Shrink Wrapping Systems
Toyo Jidoki Pre-Made Pouch Packaging Systems
Weiler Labeling Labeling & Serialization Systems
Wexxar/BEL Case Forming & Sealing Systems
Zalkin Americas Capping & Cap Handling Systems
Zalkin EMAA Capping & Cap Handling Systems
Zarpac Engineering & Integration Services

Powered by Pro Mach

David’s Tech Tip – Bartender and Excel

It’s no secret – I’m a fan of Seagull’s Bartender label design software and I use it everyday. One of the features I really like is the fact that a database dummy such as myself can easily connect my labels to a datasource to populate my labels with the info I need.

Quite often we are printing labels for clients and they provide the data in Excel spreadsheets. 99% of the time this works perfectly, the other 1% has been killing me.

So yesterday I’m setting up to print some MIL-STD-130 UID labels for one of the big defense contractors. The customer had kindly sent me a spreadsheet with all the data for the 500 or so labels he needed. It took just a few minutes to tweak the template and connect to the spreadsheet.

Looking good, time to print. Before I run a job I always do a preview to make sure that there will be no strange issues with any of the labels. In this case there was a problem, some of the serial numbers refused to be seen by Bartender. Indeed, any serial number that contained any letters would not show up in Bartender at all.

I’ve seen this kind of thing happen before and when I’ve spoken with the Seagull guys they’ve told me that it is a Microsoft issue and is well known. Not sure I buy into this, I would have thought that if there is a problem like this in Excel it would have been fixed by now. In anycase, doesn’t help me with my problem.

I tried all the usual things, formatting the cells as text rather than numbers etc., but no progress, numeric serial numbers were fine, add a letter or two and the field was left blank.

In the past, I’ve worked around this by using Access instead of Excel. As I mentioned, I’m a database dummy so having to use a proper database program is not good as far as I’m concerned.

Anyway, I solved the problem a different way – I simply saved the spreadsheet as a tab delimited text file, connect this file to the label and “Hey Presto” works great.

So I still have no idea why Excel and Bartender don’t seem to like each other from time to time, but at least there is a simple workaround. That’s today’s Tech Tip.

If you use Bartender have you run into this problem? If you have a better solution than mine please share!

Share Button

Comments

  1. I think the connection you have now is for number only, so no text come out.
    You need to change all number to text and connect with text.
    You can add a new column to excel with a new header (you defined the header).
    the formula from row 2 onwards should be
    =IF(ISNUMBER(D2),TEXT(D2,”#”),D2)
    connect this new column to bartender

Speak Your Mind

*