- Promoting the purchase and consumption of fresh and local agricultural products
- Enhancing the agricultural economy
- Encouraging agri-tourism opportunities in New Hampshire
- Giving New Hampshire citizens unimpeded access to healthy food from known sources
- Encouraging good manufacturing practices, including sanitation and hygiene, in the production, handling, storage and transportation of foodstuffs
Farms or food manufacturers would label the packaging or display of their food products with a “Made in New Hampshire” label, letting buyers know that the product falls only under New Hampshire regulations.
Local regulators would not be allowed to enact stricter regulations than the state, ensuring that in-state food businesses are lean, productive and safe. The bill also provides penalties for both federal officials or their agents attempting to enforce federal regulations and for producers and processors who label their food as “Made in New Hampshire” when it does not meet “Made in New Hampshire” requirements.
What do you think? Would a “Made in New Hampshire” label assure you that the food is safe? Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts.